Friday, May 05, 2006

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte


Started: 5/3/06
Finished: 5/4/06
Pages: 320
Year: 1959
Genre: Classic literature
Grade: C
Reason for reading: booksfree.com book-I'm trying to read the classics that I was never forced to read in school.
Blurb (from back cover): "There are few more convincing, less sentimental accounts of passionate love than Wuthering Heights. This is the story of a savage, tormented foundling, Heathcliff, who falls wildly in love with Catherine Earnshaw, the daughter of his benefactor, and the violence and misery that result from their thwarted longing for each other. A book of immense power and strength, it is filled with the raw beauty of the moors and an uncanny understanding of the terrible truths about men and women-an understanding made even more extraordinary by the fact that it came from the heart of a frail, inexperienced girl who lived out her lonely life in the mooland wildness and died a year after this great novel was published."
Opinion: I never had to read this in high school and I think that I'm thankful for that. I'm still trying to figure out why the story continued after Catherine's death. I assume that it's to show the impact on her daughter's life and there definitely was an impact. I'm glad that I read this and now I can check it off the classic read list and move onto the next one.

No comments: