Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Deadly Medicine by Kelly Moore and Dan Reed


Started: 5/10/06
Finished: 5/16/06
Pages: 545
Year: 1988
Genre: True Crime
Grade: B
Reason for reading: grabbed it off the shelf (probably from a bookbox)
Blurb (from back cover): "One morning in September 1982, Chelsea McClellan-a charming, healthy blue-eyed baby-was brought to Dr. Kathleen Holland's pediatric clinic in Kerrville, Texas, for routine immunizations. Three hours later, Chelsea was dead of apparent heart failure. Her death sparked an investigation into a rash of over thirty infant deaths that would rock the Texas medical establishment-and chill the hearts of loving parents across the nation.
"Based on exhaustive research and interviews, here is the complete, unbelievable story of nurse Genere Jones-an icy, calculating killer fatally addicted to the thrill of a "Code Blue" emergency; of the unsuspecting doctor who employed her and would help reveal the terrible truth other professionals chose to ignore; and of the spectacular trial that would finally bring to justice a murderer who even now insists she is innocent."
Opinion: Finally finished this in the midst of my birthday celebration. I would have finished this around my usual pace if I didn't take time off from work for my birthday. I'm a fan of true crime basically because it just amazes me what people could do. This book again amazes me that a nurse, who's a mother and loves children, could do what she was convicted of doing. The book reads as an extensive research book and you can tell that it was based on lots of research. Given the amount of research conducted by the authors, I feel that this is a good true crime read.

No comments: