Monday, December 11, 2006

Kim by Rudyard Kipling


Stared: 12/8/06
Finished: 12/10/06
Year: 1987 (this edition), originally 1901
Genre: Classic fiction
Grade: C
Reason for reading: booksfree.com
Blurb (from back cover): "Two men-a boy who grows into early manhood and an old ascetic priest, the lama-are at the centre of the novel. A quest faces them both. Born in India, Kim is nevertheless white, a sahib. While he wants to play the Great Game of Imperialism, he is also spiritually bound to the lama. His aim, as he moves chameleon-like through the two cultures, is to reconcile these opposing strands, while the lama searches for redemption from the Wheel of Life.
"A celebration of their friendship in a beautiful but often hostile environment, Kim captures the opulence of India's exotic landscape, overlaid by the uneasy presence of British Raj."
Opinion: Well, I'm glad that I was never forced to reading this back in high school. My mind was very easily wandering throughout this book. What I find so interesting is why do some people claim that they know what authors are thinking when they wrote the book? I just find that so frustrating. Can I see why this is a classic? Not really. Am I going to attempt this one again? Probably not-too many other books out there for me to read.

No comments: