Saturday, December 16, 2006

The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton


Started: 12/13/06
Finished: 12/15/06
Year: 2004 (this edition), originally published 1920
Genre: Classic literature
Grade: B
Reason for reading: booksfree.com, trying to catch up on some classics
Blurb (from back cover): "This is Newland Archer's world as he prepares to marry the beautiful but conventional May Welland. But when the mysterious Countess Ellen Olenska returns to New York after a disastrous marriage in Europe, Archer falls deeply in love with her. Torn between duty and passion, Archer struggles to make a decision that will courageously define his life-or mercilessly destroy it.
Opinion: I enjoyed Edith Frome when I read it back in high school so I was looking forward to reading this classic. It didn't disappoint. Well worth the time that I took in reading it. I can see why a lot of people have named this as one of their favorites.

No comments: