Wednesday, February 15, 2023

The Jackson MacKenzie Chronicles: In the Eye of the Storm by Angel Giacomo


Started: 2/9/2023

Finished: 2/10/23

Year: 2020

Pages: 275

Genre: military mystery

Grade: C

Reason for reading: review for Reader Views

Blurb (from Amazon): "War - It changes everyone and everything it touches. But especially the men who live in the trenches. Who fight the battles. Lt. Colonel Jackson Joseph MacKenzie is one of those men. He grew up in the shadow of a legendary Marine. Part of a family tradition to serve, he joined the United States Army. His first war - Korea -taught him death the hard way, both personal and professional. His second - Vietnam - never-ending pain. And betrayal by those above him. Those he trusted. His superiors. Given a top-secret mission to help end the war, he carried out his orders. Then upon his return, they disavowed any knowledge of it. He found himself in a six-by-eight cell with no way out and no hope. A man broken by the horrors of the Vietnam War and the POW camp that left everlasting scars. Memories - nightmares - that haunted him, even awake, and left him a prisoner in his own mind."

Opinion: a thorough review is posted on Reader Views

UPDATE: if you want to comment about how much you enjoyed the series...please do. I welcome different opinions than my own but do not attack me, my "maturity", or anything else. If you like a book that I did not, that's fantastic. It's great for you and the author. Not all books will be for everyone and some readers will be expecting other things when reading. To the person who commented on this particular series...I did not hate this book. I just wanted something more to tie in with the initial scenario presented. I'm truly glad that you enjoyed it enough to get the rest of the books in the series. I'm happy for the author to have that sale. There is no need to further comment as I have posted your review.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

After reading the "Full Review" in Reader Views.
I hope you will have the maturity and fairness to approve what I have written on your blog.

I don't know in what spirit you read this book, but above all if you are interested in this genre, because reading what you wrote, I perceived that you neglected the author's work.

Being the first book in a series, I think it's obvious that the author wrote the plot so that it would also develop in subsequent books (otherwise it would have ended with a single book).

You focused on the times (which by the way are consistent with the development of the story) leaving out the true essence of the book itself. Honor, Duty to one's Country, true and only American Patriotism, Justice, Truth, Friendship.

They are extremely intense chapters to read, exciting, because the mood is transferred to us, many themes are addressed, and they are so current despite the story taking place in the past, many "strings" are touched, one feels a strong empathy for the protagonist.
Personally I think that if a writer manages to strike you "inside" and to reach the reader's heart and leave a "trace", it means that he does his job very well.

…I didn't stop at the first Book of the series as they are “The Jackson MacKenzie Chronicles” a series of Books. … Books that I have read one after the other, without stopping, where the story of the Protagonist, Jackson, intertwines perfectly with the subsequent books and deeply touches the lives of the people he meets during his journey as a man and soldier.

For the record, I'm Italian and I didn't find any difficulty in reading and understanding the books, certainly thanks to the author's attention, I perceived a great research work, for the details, which reflected reality from every point of view, to give the reader the opportunity to "be immersed" in the pages of the book.

This is my Review

Now I wonder if you will delete this comment, or if you will be old enough to keep it.